The water in Charleston, West Virginia is flammable. Yes, I’m serious. Check out the video below:
The water is flammable because on Thursday, 7,500 gallons of 4-methylcyclohexane methanol, a chemical used to clean coal, leaked from a storage tank belonging to Freedom Industries, which was located about a mile upriver from the West Virginia American Water plant.
State officials declared on Thursday that the water was unsafe for anything: no washing dishes or laundry, no teeth brushing, no bathing, and definitely no drinking.
Providing 300,000 people in parts of 9 different counties with bottled water is an incredible undertaking. We would like to first and foremost commend all of the service members who are helping aid the effort.
Firefighters as well as troops from the National Guard have been dispatched to help distribute water. Local police forces have cancelled off days to help maintain order and direct traffic in congested water distribution areas.
West Virginia’s governor Earl Ray Tomblin called for patience this morning (1/13/2014). Yesterday, he said,
I believe that we’re at a point where we can say that we see light at the end of the tunnel…Our team has been diligent in testing samples from throughout the affected area.”
A press conference to update residents is scheduled for midday today.
Read the full story from CNN here.