The Pope Just Released A List of 10 Tips for Becoming a Happier Person and They Are Spot On

In a recent interview with the Argentine publication Viva, Pope Francis issued a list of 10 tips to be a happier person, based on his own life experiences.

The Pope encouraged people to be more positive and generous, to turn off the TV and find healthier forms of leisure, and even to stop trying to convert people to one’s own religion.

But his number one piece of advice came in the form of a somewhat cliche Italian phrase that means, “move forward and let others do the same.” It’s basically the Italian equivalent of, “live and let live.” You can check out the full list below.

The Pope gives a thumbs up to an audience in St. Peter’s Square at the Vatican. (Photo: CSV)

The Pope’s 10 Tips for a Happier Life

1. “Live and let live.” Everyone should be guided by this principle, he said, which has a similar expression in Rome with the saying, “Move forward and let others do the same.”

2. “Be giving of yourself to others.” People need to be open and generous toward others, he said, because “if you withdraw into yourself, you run the risk of becoming egocentric. And stagnant water becomes putrid.”

3. “Proceed calmly” in life. The pope, who used to teach high school literature, used an image from an Argentine novel by Ricardo Guiraldes, in which the protagonist — gaucho Don Segundo Sombra — looks back on how he lived his life.

4. A healthy sense of leisure. The Pope said “consumerism has brought us anxiety”, and told parents to set aside time to play with their children and turn of the TV when they sit down to eat.

5. Sundays should be holidays. Workers should have Sundays off because “Sunday is for family,” he said.

6. Find innovative ways to create dignified jobs for young people. “We need to be creative with young people. If they have no opportunities they will get into drugs” and be more vulnerable to suicide, he said.

7. Respect and take care of nature. Environmental degradation “is one of the biggest challenges we have,” he said. “I think a question that we’re not asking ourselves is: ‘Isn’t humanity committing suicide with this indiscriminate and tyrannical use of nature?’”

8. Stop being negative. “Needing to talk badly about others indicates low self-esteem. That means, ‘I feel so low that instead of picking myself up I have to cut others down,’” the Pope said. “Letting go of negative things quickly is healthy.”

9. Don’t proselytise; respect others’ beliefs. “We can inspire others through witness so that one grows together in communicating. But the worst thing of all is religious proselytism, which paralyses: ‘I am talking with you in order to persuade you,’ No. Each person dialogues, starting with his and her own identity. The church grows by attraction, not proselytising,” the Pope said.

10. Work for peace. “We are living in a time of many wars,” he said, and “the call for peace must be shouted. Peace sometimes gives the impression of being quiet, but it is never quiet, peace is always proactive” and dynamic.

Courtesy of the Catholic News Service.

Wanna keep learning?

Like us on Facebook to keep up with all the latest from The Higher Learning.

281 comments

1. 0
      Zachary says:

Actually, I’ve struggled with guilt and shame all my life, but Jesus tells me, “There is now no condemnation because of what I’ve done for you. All of your guilt is paid for and forgotten, and now you are free to know me and live without guilt or shame.”

1. 0
        Charlotte says:

i was going to say the same thing. In developing a friendship with Jesus I saw that shame is a lie from our enemy. Jesus showed me that I am loved and there is no room for shame. Shame does not produce love or lead us to anyone. It separates.

2. 0
        Chenny says:

Some mythical figure shouldn’t be what gives you serenity. Coming to terms with what you have done, and then making amends for whatever you are guilty of will give you true peace of mind. The idea that some ideological man will forgive your sins and make you feel better for whatever you’ve done sounds like an excuse.
        Really, the whole premise that a single life given 2000 years ago is the equivalent of the sins from billions of people over the course of history is incredibly exaggerated. Not to mention that he theoretically came back from the dead 3 days later…

1. 0
          Wayist says:

It’s somewhat ironic to me that the pope is preaching to not to proselytise, but the first comments on here doing just that, against religion.

@Chenny – “Some mythical figure shouldn’t be what gives you serenity.” Overarching arrogance and disdain for others aside, what does it matter where someone takes serenity from? I often find solace, inspiration, and serenity in amazing stories, sometimes called books. People find solace and serenity in characters from video games, movies, TV shows–all of which are ostensibly mythical.

Your second statement is completely nonsensical. You first reject the premise that the Christ could be anything other than myth, but then continue by saying the premise of the Christ’s sacrifice simply could not be the equivalent of all the sins of history, which means that you think there is a sacrifice (or series) of that would be enough to forgive the sins of an entire history and future of a people. On one hand you reject him as mythical, and the next you make a statement that implies that his mythical status is actually attainable through other means.

Full Disclosure: I’m a Buddhist :-)

1. 0
            Caleb says:

I think what @Chenny means to say with his second statement is that the story doesn’t line up. To give my opinion, I don’t really care if someone named Jesus took away my sins by being crucified, but I think it can be helpful for some people to think of it that way in order to acknowledge their mistakes, but not dwell on them.

2. 0
      mkat33 says:

Actually, my religion never dealt me the guilt card and it never made me unhappy. I was taught that I’m not perfect and that I’ll never be perfect, but I was also taught that I need to be accountable for my actions.

1. 0
    deb weave says:

This Pope is a very wise man. Simple, yet pure, words to live by.

I am not a catholic, and wish some other christian powers that be would utter such wisdom

1. 0
        JackG says:

…or ISIL…or the Catholic church of the 17th and 18th century…or the Muslim fundamentalists…or…whatever. Whenever people were bullied to forsake their beliefs for a different one, another religion, it was strong armed by the religious zealots of the world. Not by scientists.

1. 0
      Eurfyl James says:

I like this Pope. He looks a bit of a character – judging by his broad grin. Has he rescued the lamb from slaughter? His tips are inspired. …
      By whom?

1. 0
        pam dettmer says:

His tips are inspired by Love. The love that comes from above. Remember Jesus said Love the Lord and love your neighbor as yourself.

2. 0
    KBarker says:

I didn’t ask Jesus to do any of that for me, nor do I want him to. In my mind, that makes him a stalker.

3. 0
    Mark Jenkins says:

I believe all Gods are the same- it doesn’t matter what you call Him- as long as you believe He exists, HE will know. You are doing exactly what he counseled against- trying to force your Christian beliefs on people while tearing down whatever they believe in… and no, I’m not Catholic. I’ve found personally that many people who call themselves “Christians” have no idea what the word actually means, and certainly don’t practice “Christian”behavior. Christian means Christ-like. Wasn’t Christ kind to everyone he met? I don’t think he spent his time belittling people or running them down, or preaching that “If you don’t do as I say and do, you’ll burn in hell forever”. He accepted everyone, unconditionally. Think about it. Try to be a real Christian.

4. 0
    NotTakingSides says:

During WWII, do you know where you could find the world’s largest community of Catholic priests? The death camp at Dachau.

5. 0
    davisgloff says:

That’s NOT How To Sell It, Zealot!

Here’s some advice for those who talk religion
    And try to save my soul for my own good:
    Could you rethink your images a smidgin
    When you describe the heav’nly neighborhood?

Though many of you do the Lord’s good labor,
    Some others seem to think they need to serve
    By not loving, but by judging thy neighbor
    And truly, you just get on my last nerve

Don’t give me any “Happ’ly ever Afters”
    And don’t sell me a heavenly rebirth
    If paradise is crammed up to the rafters
    With zealots I could not abide on earth

So talking heaven, please don’t let it slip
    That YOU might be there. It’s poor salesmanship.
    dag

6. 0
    Karen Jourdan says:

Did you know that many priests and nuns were put to death by the Nazis for helping Jews escape? You don’t know what you are talking about, Eddie..and that makes you a narrow minded bigot. More..how can a man of God, who preaches love and peace give you the creeps? Isn’t that exactly what Christ taught?

7. 0
    Joan gura says:

Eddie B. You don’t know what you are talking about. I was raised in one of the highly respected Protestant Faiths, but when I began to search for the true Church, Jesus Christ established on earth, I found it to be the Catholic Church, that Jesus did die for us, and He gave us the Holy Eucharist….His Body and Blood and that if we partake of it, we shall have Life within us! Do your homework , read, history of the churches and see who were these churches established by. God bless your search!

8. 0
    Deyy Asher says:

Eddie is right. Examine your faith and you’ll know he is right. What he said is not judgmental, and no, I don’t find him proselytizing, he is saying the TRUTH.

9. 0
    Stephen Hawn says:

Hey Eddy I think you hit the nail right on the head ! Too much evil has been done everywhere in the name of organized religion–Especially in the Roman Catholic Church (Remember the Barbaric Romans the people who killed Christ!!!! People need to read the real history of the Catholic Church That Hi-Jacked Christianity in the past under after they fed Christians to Lions!! Not to mention how many of them are And were CHILD MOLESTERS!!!!!!! Really Need I Go On??? Beware of WOLVES IN SHEEPS CLOTHING!!!!’ Now What Famous Person Said THAT?!?!? Don’t believe Fractured FAIRY TALES WE’VE ALL Been Fed by The CATHOLIC CHURCH FOR 2000 YEARS !!!!! Really need I say more!!!!!!!???!??! I Do not think so!!!!!! THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE!!!! PEOPLE WAKE UP!!!!’ PEACE !!! Please do not send me hate mail ! The Truth Sometimes Hurts!!!!!

10. 0
    jan etienne says:

you are really a sad human being.. Christianity, Catholic, Buddhism….it doesn’t matter it’s all mystical Fantasy…..religion is simple……..just be kind..Don’t you think that this demonic world as you say is crazy because of Christianity? Come on lighten up!

11. 0
    Chris says:

LOL I’m not saying his post is right or wrong but those saying Eddie isn’t following # 9 are they themselves ignoring # 1. On top of that, it’s not logical to say he’s not following the rules when his argument is he doesn’t respect the person making the rules to begin with.

12. 0
    karlallen says:

Now I am an atheist. But the Catholic Pope has a point.

13. 0
    julie taripo says:

it’s so sad you feel that way about Pope Francis..take in the positive messages he’s sharing not what his church did in the pass. Remember Jesus loves everyone.

14. 0

You are not of Jesus, your words are negative and unkind. Give other human beings the space to see things for themselves and decide what they like and what they don’t. I’ve done horrible, bad things in my past too…..but I changed, I am a nicer, happier person. Religions, people, businesses, countries….all can change and have periods of being good or being bad. I am not Catholic, nor do I submit to any organized religion, but I kind of like this Pope and the good he is trying to do. There is not hell other than the hell you create for yourself. There are many forms and ways for people to find spiritual enlightenment and joy in life. People will decide for themselves.

15. 0
    quinn says:

He’s talking about love, tolerance, kindness, patience and a good heart.

If you’re against those things, you’re against the teachings of jesus himself.

16. 0
    David Larson says:

The Catholic Church was basically the only force speaking against the Nazis haha where did you get your history? They actually hid Jews in convents and churches around Europe. They even had hundreds of Jews hidden in the Vatican itself and the Pope’s summer cottage. A priest named Father O’Flaherty, he was the point man on this operation. They also believe in Jesus Christ’s sacrifice and that He is the only way to the Father. Your version of Christianity was probably invented in like the 18th or 19th century. Catholicism is the original version of Christianity but I believe God will respect any version of the faith that is based on Jesus’ teachings and life closely.

17. 0
    Eddie P says:

Please inform yourself on the teachings of the church. What you’re saying is completely made up and has no ground in the truth.
    Among other points, Catholics died in the Holocaust too. St. Maximilian Kolbe comes to mind.

18. 0
    Carmen Amadio says:

Below is an article refuting Eddie B’s accusation that the Catholic Church killed Jews during the holocaust. This is a lengthy article, but the facts will set you free. please research the footnotes provided. Eddie wants you to do research, but he also has to do some honest research.

How Pius XII Protected Jews

By Jimmy Akin

The twentieth century was marked by genocides on an monstrous scale. One of the most terrible was the Holocaust wrought by Nazi Germany, which killed an estimated six million European Jews and almost as many other victims.

During this dark time, the Catholic Church was shepherded by Pope Pius XII, who proved himself an untiring foe of the Nazis, determined to save as many Jewish lives as he could. Yet today Pius XII gets almost no credit for his actions before or during the war.

Anti-Catholic author Dave Hunt writes, “The Vatican had no excuse for its Nazi partnership or for its continued commendation of Hitler on the one hand and its thunderous silence regarding the Jewish question on the other hand. . . . [The popes] continued in the alliance with Hitler until the end of the war, reaping hundreds of millions of dollars in payments from the Nazi government to the Vatican.”[1]

Jack Chick, infamous for his anti-Catholic comic books, tells us in Smokescreens, “When World War II ended, the Vatican had egg all over its face. Pope Pius XII, after building the Nazi war machine, saw Hitler losing his battle against Russia, and he immediately jumped to the other side when he saw the handwriting on the wall. . . . Pope Pius XII should have stood before the judges in Nuremberg. His war crimes were worthy of death.”[2]

One is tempted simply to dismiss these accusations, so wildly out of touch with reality, as the deluded ravings of persons with no sense of historical truth. This would underestimate the power of such erroneous charges to influence people: Many take these writers at their word.

Stepping out of the nightmare fantasyland of Hunt and Chick and back into sunlight of the real world, we discover that, not only was Pius XII no friend of the Nazis, but that his opposition to them began years before the War, before he was elected to the papacy, when he was still Cardinal Eugenio Pacelli, the Vatican Secretary of State.

On April 28, 1935, four years before the War even started, Pacelli gave a speech that aroused the attention of the world press. Speaking to an audience of 250,000 pilgrims in Lourdes, France, the future Pius XII stated that the Nazis “are in reality only miserable plagiarists who dress up old errors with new tinsel. It does not make any difference whether they flock to the banners of social revolution, whether they are guided by a false concept of the world and of life, or whether they are possessed by the superstition of a race and blood cult.”[3] It was talks like this, in addition to private remarks and numerous notes of protest that Pacelli sent to Berlin in his capacity as Vatican Secretary of State, that earned him a reputation as an enemy of the Nazi party.

The Germans were likewise displeased with the reigning pontiff, Pius XI, who showed himself to be a unrelenting opponent of the new German “ideals”—even writing an entire encyclical, Mit Brennender Sorge (1937), to condemn them. When Pius XI died in 1939, the Nazis abhorred the prospect that Pacelli might be elected his successor.

Dr. Joseph Lichten, a Polish Jew who served as a diplomat and later an official of the Jewish Anti-Defamation League of B’nai B’rith, writes: “Pacelli had obviously established his position clearly, for the Fascist governments of both Italy and Germany spoke out vigorously against the possibility of his election to succeed Pius XI in March of 1939, though the cardinal secretary of state had served as papal nuncio in Germany from 1917 to 1929. . . . The day after his election, the Berlin Morgenpost said: ‘The election of cardinal Pacelli is not accepted with favor in Germany because he was always opposed to Nazism and practically determined the policies of the Vatican under his predecessor.’ “[4]

Former Israeli diplomat and now Orthodox Jewish Rabbi Pinchas Lapide states that Pius XI “had good reason to make Pacelli the architect of his anti-Nazi policy. Of the forty-four speeches which the Nuncio Pacelli had made on German soil between 1917 and 1929, at least forty contained attacks on Nazism or condemnations of Hitler’s doctrines. . . . Pacelli, who never met the Führer, called it ‘neo-Paganism.’ “[5]

A few weeks after Pacelli was elected pope, the German Reich’s Chief Security Service issued a then-secret report on the new Pope. Rabbi Lapide provides an excerpt:

“Pacelli has already made himself prominent by his attacks on National Socialism during his tenure as Cardinal Secretary of State, a fact which earned him the hearty approval of the Democratic States during the papal elections. . . . How much Pacelli is celebrated as an ally of the Democracies is especially emphasized in the French Press.”[6]

Unfortunately, joy in the election of a strong pope who would continue Pius XI’s defiance of the Nazis was darkened by the ominous political developments in Europe. War finally came on September 1, 1939, when German troops overran Poland. Two days later Britain and France declared war on Germany.

Early in 1940, Hitler made an attempt to prevent the new Pope from maintaining the anti-Nazi stance he had taken before his election. He sent his underling, Joachim von Ribbentrop, to try to dissuade Pius XII from following his predecessor’s policies. “Von Ribbentrop, granted a formal audience on March 11, 1940, went into a lengthy harangue on the invincibility of the Third Reich, the inevitability of a Nazi victory, and the futility of papal alignment with the enemies of the Führer. Pius XII heard von Ribbentrop out politely and impassively. Then he opened an enormous ledger on his desk and, in his perfect German, began to recite a catalogue of the persecutions inflicted by the Third Reich in Poland, listing the date, place, and precise details of each crime. The audience was terminated; the Pope’s position was clearly unshakable.”[7]

The Pope secretly worked to save as many Jewish lives as possible from the Nazis, whose extermination campaign began its most intense phase only after the War had started. It is here that the anti-Catholics try to make their hay: Pius XII is charged either with cowardly silence or with outright support of the Nazi extermination of millions of Jews.

Much of the impetus to smear the Vatican regarding World War II came, appropriately enough, from a work of fiction—a stage play called The Deputy, written after the War by a little-known German Protestant playwright named Rolf Hochhuth.

The play appeared in 1963, and it painted a portrait of a pope too timid to speak out publicly against the Nazis. Ironically, even Hochhuth admitted that Pius XII was materially very active in support of the Jews. Historian Robert Graham explains: “Playwright Rolf Hochhuth criticized the Pontiff for his (alleged) silence, but even he admitted that, on the level of action, Pius XII generously aided the Jews to the best of his ability. Today, after a quarter-century of the arbitrary and one-sided presentation offered the public, the word ‘silence’ has taken on a much wider connotation. It stands also for ‘indifference,’ ‘apathy,’ ‘inaction,’ and, implicitly, for anti-Semitism.”[8]

Hochhuth’s fictional image of a silent (though active) pope has been transformed by the anti-Catholic rumor mill into the image of a silent and inactive pope—and by some even into an actively pro-Nazi monster. If there were any truth to the charge that Pius XII was silent, the silence would not have been out of moral cowardice in the face of the Nazis, but because the Pope was waging a subversive, clandestine war against them in an attempt to save Jews.

“The need to refrain from provocative public statements at such delicate moments was fully recognized in Jewish circles. It was in fact the basic rule of all those agencies in wartime Europe who keenly felt the duty to do all that was possible for the victims of Nazi atrocities and in particular for the Jews in proximate danger of deportation to ‘an unknown destination.’ “[9] The negative consequences of speaking out strongly were only too well known.

“In one tragic instance, the Archbishop of Utrecht was warned by the Nazis not to protest the deportation of Dutch Jews. He spoke out anyway and in retaliation the Catholic Jews of Holland were sent to their death. One of them was the Carmelite philosopher, Edith Stein.”[10]

While the armchair quarterbacks of anti-Catholic circles may have wished the Pope to issue, in Axis territory and during wartime, ringing, propagandistic statements against the Nazis, the Pope realized that such was not an option if he were actually to save Jewish lives rather than simply mug for the cameras.

The desire to keep a low profile was expressed by the people Pius XII helped. A Jewish couple from Berlin who had been held in concentration camps but escaped to Spain with the help of Pius XII, stated: “None of us wanted the Pope to take an open stand. We were all fugitives, and fugitives do not wish to be pointed at. The Gestapo would have become more excited and would have intensified its inquisitions. If the Pope had protested, Rome would have become the center of attention. It was better that the Pope said nothing. We all shared this opinion at the time, and this is still our conviction today.”[11]

While the U.S., Great Britain, and other countries often refused to allow Jewish refugees to immigrate during the war, the Vatican was issuing tens of thousands of false documents to allow Jews to pass secretly as Christians so they could escape the Nazis. What is more, the financial aid Pius XII helped provide the Jews was very real. Lichten, Lapide, and other Jewish chroniclers record those funds as being in the millions of dollars—dollars even more valuable then than they are now.

In late 1943, Mussolini, who had been at odds with the papacy all through his tenure, was removed from power by the Italians, but Hitler, fearing Italy would negotiate a separate peace with the Allies, invaded, took control, and set up Mussolini again as a puppet ruler. It was in this hour, when the Jews of Rome themselves were threatened—those whom the Pope had the most direct ability to help—that Pius XII really showed his mettle.

Joseph Lichten records that on September 27, 1943, one of the Nazi commanders demanded of the Jewish community in Rome payment of one hundred pounds of gold within thirty-six hours or three hundred Jews would be taken prisoner. When the Jewish Community Council was only able to gather only seventy pounds of gold, they turned to the Vatican.

“In his memoirs, the then Chief Rabbi Zolli of Rome writes that he was sent to the Vatican, where arrangements had already been made to receive him as an ‘engineer’ called to survey a construction problem so that the Gestapo on watch at the Vatican would not bar his entry. He was met by the Vatican treasurer and secretary of state, who told him that the Holy Father himself had given orders for the deficit to be filled with gold vessels taken from the Treasury.”[12]

Pius XII also took a public stance concerning the Jews of Italy: “The Pope spoke out strongly in their defense with the first mass arrests of Jews in 1943, and L’Osservatore Romano carried an article protesting the internment of Jews and the confiscation of their property. The Fascist press came to call the Vatican paper ‘a mouthpiece of the Jews.’ “[13]

Prior to the Nazi invasion, the Pope had been working hard to get Jews out of Italy by emigration; he now was forced to turn his attention to finding them hiding places. “The Pope sent out the order that religious buildings were to give refuge to Jews, even at the price of great personal sacrifice on the part of their occupants; he released monasteries and convents from the cloister rule forbidding entry into these religious houses to all but a few specified outsiders, so that they could be used as hiding places. Thousands of Jews—the figures run from 4,000 to 7,000—were hidden, fed, clothed, and bedded in the 180 known places of refuge in Vatican City, churches and basilicas, Church administrative buildings, and parish houses. Unknown numbers of Jews were sheltered in Castel Gandolfo, the site of the Pope’s summer residence, private homes, hospitals, and nursing institutions; and the Pope took personal responsibility for the care of the children of Jews deported from Italy.”[14]

Rabbi Lapide records that “in Rome we saw a list of 155 convents and monasteries—Italian, French, Spanish, English, American, and also German—mostly extraterritorial property of the Vatican . . . which sheltered throughout the German occupation some 5,000 Jews in Rome. No less than 3,000 Jews found refuge at one time at the Pope’s summer residence at Castel Gandolfo; sixty lived for nine months at the Jesuit Gregorian University, and half a dozen slept in the cellar of the Pontifical Bible Institute.”[15]

Notice in particular that the Pope was not merely allowing Jews to be hidden in different church buildings around Rome. He was hiding them in the Vatican itself and in his own summer home, Castel Gandolfo. His success in protecting Italian Jews against the Nazis was remarkable. Lichten records that after the War was over it was determined that only 8,000 Jews were taken from Italy by the Nazis[16] —far less than in other European countries. In June,1944, Pius XII sent a telegram to Admiral Miklos Horthy, the ruler of Hungary, and was able to halt the planned deportation of 800,000 Jews from that country.

The Pope’s efforts did not go unrecognized by Jewish authorities, even during the War. The Chief Rabbi of Jerusalem, Isaac Herzog, sent the Pope a personal message of thanks on February 28, 1944, in which he said: “The people of Israel will never forget what His Holiness and his illustrious delegates, inspired by the eternal principles of religion which form the very foundations of true civilization, are doing for us unfortunate brothers and sisters in the most tragic hour of our history, which is living proof of divine Providence in this world.”[17]

Other Jewish leaders chimed in also. Rabbi Safran of Bucharest, Romania, sent a note of thanks to the papal nuncio on April 7, 1944: “It is not easy for us to find the right words to express the warmth and consolation we experienced because of the concern of the supreme pontiff, who offered a large sum to relieve the sufferings of deported Jews. . . . The Jews of Romania will never forget these facts of historic importance.”[18]

The Chief Rabbi of Rome, Israel Zolli, also made a statement of thanks: “What the Vatican did will be indelibly and eternally engraved in our hearts. . . . Priests and even high prelates did things that will forever be an honor to Catholicism.”[19]

After the war, Zolli became a Catholic and, to honor the Pope for what he had done for the Jews and the role he had played in Zolli’s conversion, took the name “Eugenio”—the Pope’s given name—as his own baptismal name. Zolli stressed that his conversion was for theological reasons, which was certainly true, but the fact that the Pope had worked so hard on behalf of the Jews no doubt played a role in inspiring him to look at the truths of Christianity.

Lapide writes: “When Zolli accepted baptism in 1945 and adopted Pius’s Christian name of Eugene, most Roman Jews were convinced that his conversion was an act of gratitude for wartime succor to Jewish refugees and, repeated denials not withstanding, many are still of his opinion. Thus, Rabbi Barry Dov Schwartz wrote in the summer issue, 1964, of Conservative Judaism: ‘Many Jews were persuaded to convert after the war, as a sign of gratitude, to that institution which had saved their lives.’ “[20]

In Three Popes and the Jews Lapide estimated the total number of Jews that had been spared as a result of Pius XII’s throwing the Church’s weight into the clandestine struggle to save them. After totaling the numbers of Jews saved in different areas and deducting the numbers saved by other causes, such as the praiseworthy efforts of some European Protestants, “The final number of Jewish lives in whose rescue the Catholic Church had been the instrument is thus at least 700,000 souls, but in all probability it is much closer to . . . 860,000.”[21] This is a total larger than all other Jewish relief organizations in Europe, combined, were able to save. Lapide calculated that Pius XII and the Church he headed constituted the most successful Jewish aid organization in all of Europe during the war, dwarfing the Red Cross and all other aid societies.

This fact continued to be recognized when Pius XII died in 1958. Lapide’s book records the eulogies of a number of Jewish leaders concerning the Pope, and far from agreeing with Jack Chick that he deserved death because of his “war crimes,” Jewish leaders praised the man highly:[22]

“We share the grief of the world over the death of His Holiness Pius XII. . . . During the ten years of Nazi terror, when our people passed through the horrors of martyrdom, the Pope raised his voice to condemn the persecutors and to commiserate with their victims” (Golda Meir, Israeli representative to the U.N. and future prime minister of Israel).

“With special gratitude we remember all he has done for the persecuted Jews during one of the darkest periods in their entire history” (Nahum Goldmann, president of the World Jewish Congress).

“More than anyone else, we have had the opportunity to appreciate the great kindness, filled with compassion and magnanimity, that the Pope displayed during the terrible years of persecution and terror” (Elio Toaff, Chief Rabbi of Rome, following Rabbi Zolli’s conversion).

Finally, let us conclude with a quotation from Lapide’s record that was not given at the death of Pius XII, but was given after the War by the most well-known Jewish figure of this century, Albert Einstein: “Only the Catholic Church protested against the Hitlerian onslaught on liberty. Up till then I had not been interested in the Church, but today I feel a great admiration for the Church, which alone has had the courage to struggle for spiritual truth and moral liberty.”[23]

FOOTNOTES:
    [1] Dave Hunt, A Woman Rides the Beast (Eugene, Oregon: Harvest House, 1994), 284.
    [2] Jack Chick, Smokescreens (China, California: Chick Publications, 1983), 45.
    [3] Robert Graham, S.J., ed., Pius XII and the Holocaust (New Rochelle, New York: Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights, 1988), 106.
    [4] Joseph Lichten, “A Question of Moral Judgement: Pius XII and the Jews,” in Graham, 107.
    [5] Pinchas E. Lapide, Three Popes and the Jews (New York: Hawthorn, 1967), 118.
    [6] Ibid., 121.
    [7] Lichten, 107.
    [8] Graham, 18.
    [9] Ibid., 19.
    [10] Lichten, 30.
    [11] Ibid., 99.
    [12] Ibid., 120.
    [13] Ibid., 125.
    [14] Ibid., 126.
    [15] Lapide, 133.
    [16] Lichten, 127.
    [17] Graham, 62.
    [18] Lichten, 130.
    [19] American Jewish Yearbook 1944-1945, 233.
    [20] Lapide, 133.
    [21] Ibid., 215.
    [22] Ibid., 227-228.
    [23] Ibid., 251.

19. 0
    Paul says:

Eddie B you are EXACTLY the type of person the Pope was referring to: Unhappy, hateful, hurtful, lonely, and confused. Eddie, it’s people like you that give the rest of us the “creeps” not the Pope. I checked out your web site for all of about 5 minutes, until I could no longer take the spurious and deeply paranoid rantings filled with half truths stretched into outright lies. If the devil is real, you are one of his minions.

20. 0
    Invictus PX says:

Martin Luther on Jews:
    “Let their houses also be shattered and destroyed . . . Let their prayer books and Talmuds be taken from them, and their whole Bible too; let their rabbis be forbidden, on pain of death, to teach henceforth any more. Let the streets and highways be closed against them. Let them be forbidden to practice usury, and let all their money, and all their treasures of silver and gold be taken from them and put away in safety. And if all this be not enough, let them be driven like mad dogs out of the land.”
    The protestant reformers confiscated and desecrated churches, raped nuns, hanged and imprisoned Clergy and even other Protestants. CALViN was behind the burning to death of an opposing protestant, Servetus. Zwingli imprisoned and hanged Lutherans, and vice versa, In Ireland the protestants starved 1 million people to death and stole their lands and outlawed their faith. The protestants outlawed and persecuted each other, and in the USA, the Puritans and Quakers burned heretics at the stake and forbade other protestant denominations as well as Catholics. The Jesuit martyr Edmund Campion was disemboweled by the English monarch and his head put on a stake on London bridge, Same with St, Thomas More. So their history is hardly lily white and untainted.

Diary of Rabbi Zolli chief Rabbi of Rome in WWII:
    Zolli devoted an entire chapter in his memoirs to the German occupation of Rome and praised the Pope’s leadership: “… The people of Rome loathed the Nazis and had intense pity for the Jews. They willingly assisted in the evacuation of the Jewish population into remote villages, where they were concealed and protected by Christian families. Christian families in the heart of Rome accepted Jews. There was money in the treasury for the support of destitute refugees thus hidden. The Holy Father sent by hand a letter to the bishops instructing them to lift the enclosure from convents and monasteries, so that they could become refuges for the Jews. I know of one convent where the Sisters slept in the basement, giving up their beds to Jewish refugees. In face of this charity, the fate of so many of the persecuted is especially tragic.”

Israel Zolli, Chief Rabbi of Rome, “What the Vatican did will be indelibly and eternally engraved in our hearts…priests and even higher prelates did things that will forever be an honor to Catholicism.” Zolli later converted to Catholicism and took the Christian name Eugenio after the pope, who’s given name was Eugenio.

Einstein, Time magazine, December 23, 1940, pg. 38: “Being a lover of freedom, when the revolution came to Germany, I looked to the universities to defend it, knowing that they had always boasted of their devotion to the cause of truth; but, no, the universities were immediately silenced. Then I looked to the great editors of the newspapers whose flaming editorials in days gone by had proclaimed their love of freedom; but then, like the universities, were silenced in a few short weeks…Only the Church stood squarely across the path of Hitler’s campaign for suppressing truth. I never had any special interest in the Church before, but now I feel a great affection and admiration because the Church alone had had the courage and persistence to stand for intellectual truth and moral freedom. I am forced thus to confess that what I once despised I now praise unreservedly.”

This is the Evil Pope and Church you denounce, the original Christian Church Eddie. Learn more before you criticize, you will have more credibility. Peace

21. 0
    Tim says:

Oh my, I was accosted and attempted to be brainwashed by fundamentalist christians decades ago… and again yesterday. It never ends.

Christ is the center of the Pope’s life, he lives the message, give it a rest.

Peace.

22. 0
    laurajakers says:

He didn’t forget Jesus at all. Most of what he is saying is part of Jesus’s message. Care about others, don’t proselytize, live calmly, pursue peace. If you fail to see Christ in tge Pope’s words, I suggest you reread (or read, for the first time) the Gospels. Because, to borrow a line from the political sphere, there’s little doubt Jesus would approve this message.

23. 0
    michelle says:

Your right, he has forgotten about Christ and the fact that Christ himself says…John 14:6
    Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
    Matthew 7:13-15
    13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
    14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
    15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

24. 0
    invisible man says:

Francis doesn’t NEED to “mention” Jesus. I’m glad he doesn’t. He demonstrates Jesus.
    “Proclaim the Gospel at all times and when necessary, use words” – Francis of Assisi (his namesake)

25. 0
    michelle says:

1 John 4:2-4
    2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
    3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
    4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

26. 0
    michelle says:

Jesus never said live and let live. Never.

John 14:6

(How is it kind and loving to not tell others The Way, they must go to get into heaven?)

2 Corinthians 5:17
    Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Dead to Sin but Alive in Christ

Romans 6:1-6 So do you think we should continue sinning so that God will give us more and more grace? 2 Of course not! Our old sinful life ended. It’s dead. So how can we continue living in sin? 3 Did you forget that all of us became part of Christ Jesus when we were baptized? In our baptism we shared in his death. 4 So when we were baptized, we were buried with Christ and took part in his death. And just as Christ was raised from death by the wonderful power of the Father, so we can now live a new life.

5 Christ died, and we have been joined with him by dying too. So we will also be joined with him by rising from death as he did. 6 We know that our old life was put to death on the cross with Christ. This happened so that our sinful selves would have no power over us. Then we would not be slaves to sin. 7 Anyone who has died is made free from sin’s control.

8 If we died with Christ, we know that we will also live with him. 9 Christ was raised from death. And we know that he cannot die again. Death has no power over him now. 10 Yes, when Christ died, he died to defeat the power of sin one time—enough for all time. He now has a new life, and his new life is with God. 11 In the same way, you should see yourselves as being dead to the power of sin and alive for God through Christ Jesus.

27. 0
    Tristan says:

Sorry, but you are dead wrong. Jesus preached Hell repeatedly; there’s also the matter of that time he literally chased people out of the Temple with a whip, flipped over their tables, and dumped out their money (see John 2), which to my mind runs pretty far counter to your “kind to everyone he met” hippie Jesus.
    I recommend reading the Gospel of John, though any of the four would thoroughly shatter this popular conception of Jesus.

28. 0
    Gorgonio Formoso Gepayo says:

You are certainly right in your insight about being a “Christian……” you are perfectly correct in saying that….I am a catholic Christian/ an Anglican-English Catholic Christian, not Roman Catholic. It is easy to speak of Christ’s love or being Christ-like but it is very difficult to practice it….I too have a lot of weaknesses, so it is so hard for me to be Christ-like though I am trying to be….anyway, I always entrust it to Him that one day I will eventually be… Thanks for your expedient comment. God bless you…

29. 0
    Alex says:

You obviously have no bearing on Christianity either; otherwise, you wouldn’t have made the asinine statement that all Gods are the same. Each religion has specific ways to view the gods of other religions, and they aren’t as “all-encompassing” as you say…..”Christian” originates from being “Christ-like”? No, it’s because the individual is a practitioner of the faith Christianity; I found this to be pretty humorous.

Wasn’t Christ kind to everyone he met? Nah, remember the thing called the Holy Trinity? The entity of “Christ” is responsible for thousands of deaths. Furthermore, the Jews suffered persecution because of their refusal to accept Jesus as the Messiah as seen in Mark 16:16; Matthew 3:7; Matthew 8:10-12; Matthew 13:36-43; Matthew 27:25; Luke 19:12-27; Luke 20:9-16; John 3:18; John 8:44; John 8:47; John 15:6; John 15:22-25; John 16:2, 3; Romans 11:28; I Thessalonians 2:15; Revelation 2:9-10 and countless other examples of Jesus not being as kind as a rabbit.

Your willful ignorance that you’re trying to pass as intelligence is pretty on par with individuals in your belief system.

30. 0
    Fran says:

I try everyday to be Christlike which is better and most religions are the same calling us to our higher purpose ……Gods peace!

31. 0
    Rabid Penguin says:

The Gospel IS words. The Gospel IS Jesus Christ. If you don’t mention Jesus then you’re not talking about the Gospel. Gospel means “Good News.” It is through Jesus Christ that we are saved. That’s the good news.

“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.”

32. 0
    Alex Figueroa says:

The Catholic Church was made by MAN.! As a Christian your job is to be Christ like. Christ was a carpenter and poor. He didn’t need a $1MM, Pope mobile like the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church is the largest holder in Real Estate in the world…now ask your self, why do they need sooooo much money. Do your h one work on this pope, prophesied to be the last Pope ever and the one who brings down the Catholic church for his beliefs…Peter the Roman.

33. 0
    Nancy says:

If you think Jesus accepted everyone unconditionally and never preached to anyone that they were going to hell, then you obviously have never read the Bible. Jesus verbally attacked the Pharisees of his day on more than one occasion, calling them hypocrites and children of hell. He said his followers would be witnesses of Him to the uttermost parts of the earth and they should go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He warned about the dangers of hell far more times than he mentioned anything about heaven. It is not love to let a person in a false belief to go on their way to hell. The Bible says that those who don’t warn others are guilty of having blood on their hands. The disciples of Jesus spread Christianity all throughout the known world and founded many churches. Our world would be a MUCH different place than it has been over the centuries and would not be better for it. No other religion has done more in the way of charities and the founding of hospitals to help the sick and poor. Don’t deceive yourselves into thinking you can get into heaven without Jesus. The Bible is very clear about that.

34. 0
    Jerry says:

The Child molestation has been within the Catholic churches as well as the protastant churches in schools and within families as well .
    One canot point their finger at one indivdual or religious faith for this is a world wide tradgedy within all faith walks and nations .
    We often tend to get carried away from our faith walk and tend to go along within the frame works of our churches guide lines that are created not by God’s devine will but by men .
    As The pope has stated these simple guidelines if we go by them we will have a much better understanding of our selves and our faith walk .
    First of all a love of God and our fellow man.
    The Catholic church is the mother of all Christian Faiths and established Christian churches.
    Have love and respect for your selves and share it with others do not always look for the darkness in life but brouse around you may be supprised at the beauty in the world.
    Peace be with all of all faith walks.
    Jerry Lease

35. 0
    Invictus PX says:

Dear Steve and Eddie, (didn’t I see you in Las vegas?)

THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE! You should find it and then comment. 10 times more sex abuse is reported among Protestant ministry than among Catholic clergy. the percentage of sex abuse among the Catholic clergy is almost exactly the same percentage of the general population for industrialized nations according the Oxford Encyclopedia of Christianity, Oxford Univ press.

OTHER EYE OPENERS FOR THOSE WHO LIKE TO THROW STONES AND CAN’T SEE THE SPLINTER IN THEIR EYE:

36. 0
    JC says:

Agreed. There is no mention of Jesus in his statement. He has some great ideas about social justice, but he’s also a Christian leader who seems to have forgotten about Christ.

37. 0
    Emerald Eyes says:

Jesus said: “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.” So yes, Sundays are family days. Familes can worship, pray and play together.

38. 0
    mark says:

Yolandita – God is part of my family and the rest of my family are gifts from him. So spending the day together includes worshipping him, and loving my family honors him.

39. 0

while there is a great deal of historical evidence of the existence of a man who traveled preaching to the masses, there is no “historical” evidence that “proves” he is the son of god. only in religious text is that “established”
    but that is a moot point in all honesty Julie, faith is not about “proof” it is about belief.
    we refer to ancient Greek and roman religions as mythology, we refer to ancient Norse religion as mythology, we ever refer to non religious legends as mythology (king Arthur anyone?) so why get bent when someone mentions Christian mythology? cause its what you believe? that some how changes it from myths and legends to fact? js.

40. 0
    tory says:

yea and I guess your some hard core Christian person, you know nothing of my religion, because if you did know anything about the bible as you seem to think you do then you would know that the bible is constantly being reformed in every religion so be a pagan beast and be a religious jerk but let me tell you this I love the pope, and I will love my religion till my dying last breath and after that when I am in the arms of God and Jesus, so you can just get over yourself and quit acting like you know all and like you are a higher being. THANK YOU AND HAVE A GOOD DAY SIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

41. 0
    George Box says:

Pope Pius Xll was a staunch conservative and during that time he had to make a political deal with the Nazis who were poised to occupy Vatican city. He did more damage by remaining silent that anything he did overtly. He is not a Pope to be proud of and in fact turned a lot of people against the Church. The time and place of his papacy should be taken into account.

42. 0
    Stephen Hawn says:

I guess you are another person who is very influenced by propaganda of the Catholic Church you probably believed the Nazi crap too!!!! Wake up People!!! I guess you would have turned a blind eye towards the Barbaric Slaughter of Millions of Innocent Jews, that also (Christ was) by Hitler and Stalin!!!!!! Get A different History Book!!!!!! By the way the Last Pope Was An Ex NATZI Sorry the truth hurts!!!!!!!!!

43. 0
    Invictus PX says:

Eddie gives no evidence. He just makes inflammatory claims. You have some connection to Harvard? Then I would expect some backup from you.Tyndale was arrested at the behest of HENRY VIII ! Because he protested Henry’s impending divorce! On this blog is plenty of evidence which proves Eddie’s Claims are nonsense and gibberish. Peace and God bless Francis.