The strength of Earth’s gravity varies depending on where you are, mostly because of differences in the composition (ie. densities) of different regions on Earth. In 2009, the European Space Agency launched a satellite called the Gravity field and steady-state Ocean Circulation Explorer (GOCE), with the purpose of mapping these variations and seeing how they changed over time. During its four year period, the satellite gathered a lot of interesting and useful data, including this “gravity scar” left behind by the
Tag Archives: physics
Scientists from the Department of Physics, Chemistry and Pharmacy at the University of Southern Denmark have created oxygen-absorbent crystals that can easily and conveniently store and release oxygen at high concentrations. Although humans require oxygen to survive, the air we breath is only 21% oxygen, the other 79% being comprised almost entirely of nitrogen. However, there are plenty of instances where it’s necessary to have oxygen available in considerably higher concentrations, such as lung patients with oxygen machines and fuel
3-D printing technology has been improving in leaps and bounds lately, and now it can add yet another cool accomplishment to its resumé: taking a picture of the moon. It all started with a team of astronomers at the University of Sheffield in England who wanted to see if they could design their own high-powered telescope rather than paying thousands of dollars for one. Using only 3-D printer and a Raspberry Pi camera module, the team was able to create a telescope capable
Almost everyone knows that cats have an extraordinary ability to land on their feet, even if they start out upside down. But how are they actually able to do this? Destin, founder of the popular youtube channel SmarterEveryDay, recently broke down the science behind how cats are seemingly able to always land on their feet. He posed the following question: How does a cat go from feet up to feet down in a falling reference frame without violating the conservation of angular momentum?
Every time the newest model of truck or car comes out, the car manufacturers loves to tell you how much “horsepower” the vehicle has, conjuring up visions of muscular stallions galloping through the countryside. But I put the term “horsepower” in quotes because these visions are misleading. See, in our modern world, horsepower is simply a scientific unit that we accept as a standard. But to understand what it actually means, you have to understand where it actually comes from. The
Back in May, I wrote an article about a futuristic new hoverbike called the Aero-X set to go on sale in 2017. Now it seems that the Aero-X may have some serious competition. A company called Malloy Aeronautics recently completely a successful Kickstarter campaign for a similar hoverbike that uses four helicopter bladed instead of two, adding additional control, stability and maneuverability to the craft. Though they haven’t yet built a full-size model, Malloy Aeronautics has built a 1/3 scale model that they’re
25-28 million years ago, a massive seabird known as Pelagornis sandersi dominated the skies. With wingspans reaching up to 24 feet in length, P. sandersi’s wingspan was more than twice as large as the largest living bird capable of flight, the Royal Albatross (which can have a wingspan of up to 11.5 feet). P. sandersi‘s wingspan was also… As big as many World War I fighter jets: Longer than three Yao Mings lined up head to toe: And longer than most adult anacondas: The bird was so
Roger Shawyer is one of the most persistent and driven individuals in the world. For years, he has been working on a new type of propulsion engine that could theoretically run forever without needing any fuel. He calls his device the EmDrive. The engine works by bouncing around microwave radiation in a small space to produce thrust, rather than burning a propellant fuel. The microwaves are produced by solar power which is generated from panels on the outside of the engine.
About two weeks ago, I reported on a giant crater that appeared on the Yamal peninsula in Siberia. Well, while scientists are still trying to figure out what caused this first crater, two more have been discovered in Siberia. Crater of Antipayuta This crater was alo discovered on the Yamal peninsula, near the village of Antipayuta (a few hundred miles from the first crater). It measures 50 feet in diameter. Mikhail Lapsui is a deputy of the regional parliament in the
A 54-year-old bridge was demolished in Cleveland this past weekend. The bridge originally opened in 1959. It spanned 8 lanes, and at 166 feet it was the widest bridge in Ohio at the time. The bridge connected downtown Cleveland with the Cuyahoga River Valley. The video below shows a slow motion destruction of the 128-foot-tall 5,078-foot-long structure (it begins about 30 seconds in). The Ohio Department of Transportation demolished the bridge to replace it with two new structures. Check out a concept image